Monday, March 28, 2011

A Lake I Love


This is Deer Lake, the lake by which my family has lived since I was one year old.  I originally thought it was called Deer Lake because it formed roughly the shape of a deer head -- I thought this because of the old Deer Lake sign, which had such a shape on it -- but, upon discovering Google Earth in 2007, I learned that was not the case and that it is called Deer Lake due to the large number of deer that used to be sighted along its periphery.  It is a man-made lake that emptied once when I was five or six because the dam, found at its SE border, broke, allowing the water to flow into a small pond and into the tributaries that flow into the wood creeks.  My brother and I trekked around in the mud (which sucked our legs in up to our knees) and found old bottles, a pair of glasses, and countless numbers of fishing tackles.

No comments:

Post a Comment